With summer comes the beautiful evenings. We meet with friends by the fire and around the pool while a good meal sizzles on the barbecue. Unfortunately, these moments of relaxation can be spoiled by a mundane incident. Here are some of the dangers that our pets face during these gatherings.
Burns A BBQ or bonfire, it burns, but our animals do not necessarily know it! Charcoal, hot fat, BBQ metal, utensils and food are all potential sources of burns. As for the flames of the bonfire, they could burn your animal if it approaches it too much; and fur, it catches fire quickly!
Pancreatitis bones, skewered picks and the smells of BBQ are attractive! You might like to share it with your companion, but reconsider! Large amounts of fat in its diet can cause it digestive disorders, such as inflammation of the pancreas. And bones and skewered picks are disastrous; they can cause serious damage, including perforation of the digestive tract. Do not forget to protect your trash so that your dog does not have access to it.
Toxic Foods and Plants Below is a list of things that your pet should never ingest because they could harm its health:
- Caffeine (anything that can contain it)
- Hop cones
- Rhubarb, potato and tomato leaves and stems
- Chewing gum with or without xylitol • Large amount of salt or liver
- Pink laurel
- Grenoble and macadamia nuts
- Apple, apricot, cherry and peach cores
- Fresh and dry grapes
Pool In reality, many dogs and cats do not know how to swim. Every summer, many have drowned. Here are some steps to take at a pool party, because a drowning results from a lack of attention:
- Keep a perch near the pool
- Make sure the floor is dry around the pool
- Always designate a supervisor
- When swimming time is over, remove toys on the water that could attract your dog
Heat Stroke This is a sudden, rapid attack characterized by body hyperthermia due to an excessively high ambient temperature, causing your pets inability to maintain a normal temperature (38.5°C – 39°C, 5°C), since animals cool themselves by breathing in fresh air.
Tobacco products and illicit drugs If ingested in large quantities, these products can be fatal to animals. This is why they must be kept out of their reach.
Insect stings of all kinds In our region, various biting insects having a great time! After being bitten, your pet may have simple red lesions on his skin, but may also have a more severe allergic reaction, with local or generalized blisters, or even breathing difficulties, tremors and fever.
In general, it is better to keep our companions away from the sources of danger, in a cool and peaceful place.
Martine Lavallée, B.A.A. And Animal Health Technician